How to Handle Manual Wheelchairs?
There are many functions to the wheelchair that is specially designed to make the transportation of user more efficiently and safely. It is critical to understand how to use each function and when to use it to provide a safe environment for both the user and the caregiver
Difference between push chairs and wheelchairs
There are many types of wheelchairs to choice from in the market. Many spent wasted money on the wrong type of wheelchair because they did not understand the types of wheelchairs in the market, difference between wheelchairs and push chairs and understand the needs of their loved ones.
In MA4U, we offer a wide range of wheelchairs and pushchairs. The benefits of choosing a manual wheelchair is that they are:
- Requires little to no maintenance
- Compact in size
- Easily stored
To fully utilise the advantages of the Manual Wheelchair, it is important to know how to use it properly.
To open up a manual wheelchair
To open up the manual wheelchair for use:
- Place open palms facing down on the frame of the seat
- Firmly push the frame downwards, ensuring palms are kept open
To stow a manual wheelchair
To stow a manual wheelchair for storage or to place in the car boot:
- Place fingers underneath the middle part of the seat
- Pull the middle part of the seat upwards to fold the manual wheelchair
- Grab the wheelchair by the handles at the left and right side of the seat to move it around
*It is critical not to transport the wheelchair with the arm frame to prevent damage on the frame of the wheelchair, reducing the stability of the structure of the manual wheelchair.
To lower the back rest of the recliner wheelchair
To lower the backrest of recliner wheelchair:
- Place fingers on the horizontal set of levers on the handles
- Push the levers outwards to engage
- Pull the handle in a downwards direction towards the floor
To return the backrest to an upright position:
- Hold the handles of the wheelchair
- Push it forward towards the front of a wheelchair until you hear a click
- Shake the backrest to ensure the structure is engaged
Recommended Wheelchair accessories
To make the the manual wheelchair more comfortable for the user, you can consider adding on the following wheelchair accessories:
Heavy duty cotton webbing transfer safety belt provides a secure hand hold for caregivers to transfer users from wheelchairs safely and more comfortably.
The PVC anti sore cushion is a portable and self-inflating air cushion that aids user in relieving pressure from prolong sitting and it protects the vertebra especially at places with uneven ground.
At Medical Assistance4u
With medically trained staff, our team at Medical Assistance4u can provide you with consultation services to assist you to find the most suitable wheelchair.