Types of Exercises for Wheelchair Users
Regular exercise is important both for physical and mental health. While the first few activities that may come to mind are walking or moving around, such exercises may not be feasible for seniors who depend on wheelchairs.
For these seniors, here are some exercises that are wheelchair-friendly and can be done regularly.
1. Exercises to do in your wheelchair
Strength training exercises are great for maintaining muscle health. Here are 3 wheelchair-friendly exercises that target different muscle groups.
Muscles this exercise targets: chest and arms
- Sit up straight and tighten the abdominal muscles.
- Press the palms together to activate the chest muscles.
- While pressing the palms together, slowly straighten both arms forward and pull them back towards the chest.
To increase the intensity, a ball can be held between the palms while following the same steps.
Muscles this exercise targets: legs
- Sit up straight and tighten the abdominal muscles with both feet flat on the ground..
- Raise the toes until they point at the ceiling, then relax them.
For a higher intensity:
- Raise one leg up until it is parallel to the floor while keeping the other feet flat on the ground.
- Raise the toes on both feet until they point at the ceiling, then relax them.
- Repeat this a few times while alternating the leg that is raised.
Muscles this exercise targets: abdominals and core
- Sit up straight and grab the front edge of the wheelchair with both hands.
- Slowly raise both feet off the ground while bending both knees towards the chest. Raise the feet as high as is comfortable.
- When the feet are raised to the maximum height, squeeze the abdominal muscles and slowly lower the feet to the ground.
Please note that the feet should not be raised past the elderly’s comfort level so as not to overstrain themselves. It is alright if they can only be raised a few inches off the ground.
2. Work out in the inclusive ActiveSG facilities
Seniors who enjoy exercising in gyms and pools can visit accessible ActiveSG sports facilities for a workout.
Swimming pool wheelchairs are provided at accessible swimming pool complexes.
The Enabling Village ActiveSG Gym welcomes people with disabilities, seniors and the able-bodied. For wheelchair users, special gym equipment with features like removable seats are available.
Learn more wheelchair-friendly exercises
Bethesda Care Services
Learn more seated-exercises with Bethesda Care Services’ Active Ageing Program. Their Resistance Band Workout sessions take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Learn 7 sit-down exercises with Healthhub. Refer to their exercise poster and do the exercises together with their demonstration videos.
Types of wheelchairs available
At Medical Assistance4u, we have a range of wheelchairs to suit your elderly’s unique medical and personal needs. Choosing the right wheelchair for your loved one is crucial to their wellbeing.
Here are some of our wheelchairs at a glance:
- Standard manual wheelchair
- Bariatric wheelchair
- Lightweight wheelchair
- Solid caster wheelchair
- Aluminium wheelchair
- Reclining wheelchair
- Rear pneumatic mag wheelchair
- 6 tyre wheelchair
- Travel wheelchair
At Medical Assistance4u
Our team of medically trained staff at Medical Assistance4u can provide you with consultation services to assist you in providing good elderly care and finding the right assistive tool and medical equipment.
We also provide services like installation and repair services, relocation and disposal services for bulky medical equipment, home care services and transport for your wheelchair-bound loved ones.
Drop an enquiry via the form below now!